Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Finding My WHY Again!!!!

 This has been a whirlwind spring and summer. I have been on the edtech rollercoaster learning and growing and stretching myself BUT the most important thing I realized this summer was my WHY.

I came into education from a career in social service and law enforcement. As a Family Shelter worker, Child Protective Service worker and Juvenile Probation Officer I saw families at their worst. I saw the devastating effects of life on families. Through all of this I was wondering what was the one most important thing to bring about generational change to families. 

Then I entered a Forensic Psychology Program at John Jay College, CUNY and I learned. For my thesis I did a longitudinal study of probationers in Bronx Family Court. What I found was earth shattering for me they were much more likely to have immediate and distant family members involved in the court system. Most had interaction with Child Protective Services. Most family members had not finished high school. I know we say it but to see the numbers that I saw woke me up. When I worked in these systems I knew we were dealing with the same family members over and over again but to see it through this 20 year longitudinal study was jaw dropping. Also, at the time I had a 13 year old who I knew couldn't read a picture book who was in the 5th grade. I tried to get "services" to him tutoring etc. but there was no family involvement. When he came to me so proud because he was graduating 5th grade tears came to me. What message were we giving this child that we knew couldn't read. He knew he couldn't read. His exact words were, "I'm better now." He was so proud!! 

That was my moment I only lasted another few months before I resigned and joined an alternative certification program to become an educator. I believe education "TRUE EDUCATION" is the path out of criminal justice systems, social service systems, and poverty. I wanted to be a part of THAT!!!

When I entered that is what I dd, but as time when on year after year I found  myself settling for good enough. That is not what is going to bring about generational change. Excellence is what brings about generational change. 

I'm not saying that every student has to be excellent at everything but an attitude of excellence. Going above and beyond. I was doing it in my classroom but when I saw things happening in other classrooms I did not speak up. When I became involved as a Teacher Leader I did not speak up. I did not speak my truth. It wasn't only my class I should be worried about it is all students. Being a part of educating educators on best practices to strive for excellence in all our students. Giving them the tools they need to make learning accessible to ALL!! That is my passion, that is my calling and I am reaching for it. I was not brought into education to impact one class of students. I came into education to impact STUDENTS!!! Using my voice so I give them permission to use their voice. My favorite poem.... It speaks to my spirit


we are powerful beyond measure (2011) | Our deepest fear is … | Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below and follow me on twitter @vlowe144