Thursday, July 9, 2020

Summer School and It's Impact on "Our" Students

Today was the first day of summer school, renamed Summer in the City. I stopped working summer school years ago because I didn't see that it was positively impacting our students. The neediest students were told year after year you are not good enough and you have to go to summer school. It always made me think what do we think we can do in 6 weeks that we couldn't do in 40 weeks. 
I like the idea of voluntary academic "camps" because the connotation is different. What message are we sending them when they cannot attend graduations and other things to do this 6 week course where they already know everyone will pass you just have to show up.

I volunteered to work so I could make a difference to use these new tools that the students did not have access to during the school year and in remote learning. The students came from different schools so this was an opportunity to work on engagement with students that I didn't already know. I created a Buncee. They loved it!!! 
Maybe this virtual thing could work after all.... I know for me it has made me a more deliberate teacher. I examine each activity and lesson to make sure that it is deliberate and serves a purpose to engage and draw the students into the learning. 
My takeaway from remote learning is that now we have to REALLY sell our lessons to get the participation. In classrooms they were hostages now it is a choice. So what do I have to do to make them choose to come to my class. 
Is this the education revolution??? Are we now salespeople??? Is this good or bad??? TBD 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment below and follow me on twitter @vlowe144